Last Thursday I had the pleasure of joining Good Morning Washington to discuss the basics of K Beauty (Korean Beauty) and showing some of my favorite products! I have included the video below and wanted to go into more detail about the approach, key steps, and products that I think can be valuable to everyone!
The Key Steps to K Beauty
Korean Beauty is renowned for it's multistep process - this is truly a beauty ritual - and it does not take an excessive amount of time! I have fully switched over to a K Beauty regimen and I absolutely love pampering my skin and the BEAUTIFUL results that I am seeing!
Here are the key steps:
1. Double cleansing: start with an oil based cleanser to lift debris and makeup from the skin, then use a gentle foaming (water based) cleanser to whisk away impurities and leave the skin beautifully clean. Here are some of my favorite cleansers:
Frudia: Blueberry Hydrating Cleansing Balm - just rub it on your face and watch your makeup dissapear!
Caolion: Sparkling Blackhead Soap- Like magic for clogged pores.
Freshly Chitosan Foaming Cleanser - I love a foaming cleanser!
I also love Innisfree, 9Wishes, and The Face Shop - definitely look around and look for ingredients like Rice for brightening.
2. Toner - Unlike many toners used in the US and Western Europe, toners used in Korea are not like the astringents we are accustomed to using. Although I love the crisp, clean feeling of an astringent, since I switched over to using May Coop's Raw Sauce, my skin is TOTALLY different.
3. Essence: Essence is applied after toner and is a refreshing burst of hydration and treatment on to and into your clean skin. Look for active ingredients that address your concerns - for example, I am using Urang essence with rose oil - which is amazing for all skin types .
4. Serum: After essence you will want to apply a serum - a serum is a targeted liquid replete with ingredients to specifically target issues like aging, acne, brightening, etc. I am using the spray on serum from ONEOSEVEN. Their CoreFlex serum is skin plumping and anti-aging - and I LOVE it. It's super quick to apply and my skin is glowing.
5. Eye Cream: ALWAYS use eye cream. It is the thinnest skin on your face and it sees a lot of action (smiling, crying, etc). Gently tap a rice-sized amount of eye cream all along the bony area under your eye - don't bring it any higher as it can cause puffiness! Trust me! The microcirculation around your eyes will take it where it needs to go!
6. Moisturizer: I cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to use a moisturizer. If you have oily skin - it is SUPER important to use a moisturizer to balance out your skin! Your skin will love you for adding a moisturizer every day! I'm using May Coop's Raw Moisturizer which is made with Maple Sap. I just want to lick my face it's so good. Umm, maple.
7. SPF - I use a 50 SPF every day from my forehead to my chest, and always on my tattoos (tattoos are an investment, protect them!). Everyone needs sun protection, everyday, no matter the weather. Even through clouds you will get up to 80% exposure of UV rays, so slap it on. SPF is one of the MOST IMPORTANT STEPS of the Korean Skin care approach - do not miss this step!!
8. Skin Oil: At night, in place of your SPF, use a skin oil. Gently press the oil all over your face and neck. This is my favorite step! It smells divine and your skin will look like a million dollars. I'm using Urang Glow Oil- it's amazing. AMAZING.
Masks: Masks are a KEY part of the K Beauty experience - from sheet masks to sleeping masks you should use these to help really prefect the skin. This way of skincare has really made my skin "makeup optional" - I don't really worry about scaring people (although, maybe I should) on my way to drop my kids at daycare. My skin tone is more even and I don't have breakouts like I used to! Most important - I have severe allergies and my skin doesn't itch like it used to - and I used extremely expensive and fancy skincare!!
Here are some of the masks that I am using and loving right now:
Hot and Cold Pore Pack - I LOVE this mask duo - it warms, it cools, it shrinks my pores.
Pore Bubble Mask - I love the way this feels and my skin looks lovely and bright when I use it.
Good Night Pore Mask - A sleeping mask - I wake up beautiful. I'm in.
Here are some brands that I love that you can just buy everything from:
Caolion (See all the links above!)
JJ Pore - it's a CVS!! Run, don't walk!!
The Face Shop
Here is a great resource to help you to K Beauty Nirvana: Soko Glam
This is just the base line of what you can do! You can swap out steps - use sleeping packs, pore packs, sheet masks, and so much more! There are boosters, and treatments that I haven't even touched here just because there is such a huge array of products!
If you would like to get started on a K Beauty routine and do not know where to start, Costco has an amazing product called a Case Full of Seoul. I LOVE THIS. Every product is amazing and you don't have to be a Costco member to order it (although I am, membership has privileges).
Let me know if you have questions! I've had some amazing people reach out to me - and I try my best to get back to you as soon as I can!
Thank you and speak soon! xxx
Film & TV Makeup Artist, Beauty Expert, Skincare Obsessed, Wife to the amazing Mike, Mother of Asa and Max, Runner, Fitness Enthusiast, Loves to Eat, Drinks Champs and Cava. Surprisingly caffeine free.